If I were President Obama, I would, on the debt default, take the following plan of action.
I would pay all interest payments to avoid the worst consequences of the default.
I would then examine each congressional district in the country. I would prioritize payments from most to least based on votes.
- If your rep and both of your senators voted for the debt limit increase, I’d prioritize your payments highest.
- If one of your two senators voted against the increase, but the other and your rep voted for, you’d be here.
- If either your rep or your two senators voted against, you’d be here.
- If your rep voted against, and your two senators voted for, you’d be here.
- IF you rep voted against and one of your two Senators voted against, you’d be here.
- If your rep and both of your senators voted against, you’d be here.
Social Security payments, federal contracts, and other payments would be prioritized based on how your reps and senators voted, with payments going to accounts at the top of the list first, then to the next level, and so on, and so on, down to the bottom of the list. When the money runs out, that’s where the payments end. Anyone lower on the list will have to talk to their Rep and Senators to get the cash flowing again.
To borrow an old expression, elections have consequences….